Your Connection To This Site Is Not Secure

A few days ago Google announced that if you use their Chrome browser you will start seeing more warnings when visiting non-secure websites.

Those warnings only tell you that the website you are visiting is secure or non-secure. But they sound like if you proceed further you could compromise all your important data.

Scare tactic? Maybe.

Chrome is doing this to insure that visitors to sites get the best and safest experience when visiting, and if a site has a potential to compromise your information than visitors should know right?

But what is secure is what is not?

Well since the advent of the internet all websites have started with “http”, which stands for hypertext transfer protocol.

The new secure protocols called SSL encryption makes the http that we are so used to and changes it to “https”.

So that “s” on the tail end of http is usually a good indication the site is secure…well in theory.

Just because someone sends you a link that has https in it doesn’t automatically make it secure.

There is a cost for the SSL encryption which is normally renewable every year. And some sites forget to renew or think that it’s a once and done purchase.

As of end of 2017 roughly 68% off all websites are using SSL encryption. But, that still leaves 32% off all sites lacking protection.

Okay, but why all the fuss, haven’t we been getting along without SSL encryption for more than 20 years already?

Why yes we have, but getting along with and being secure about it are two different things. When you go to a site and enter your information you want that information to be secure, right?

I know I do. I order a great deal things from Amazon, Apple and other online retailers and pay for bills using online services, I feel much safer knowing that my information is encrypted and safe.

So what do you do? How can you tell if a site is or isn’t secure? And is it safe to put your information onto a site that doesn’t offer encryption?

To check if a site’s connection is secure

To see whether a website is safe to visit, you can check for security info about the site. Chrome will alert you if you can’t visit the site safely or privately.

  1. In Chrome, open a page.
  2. To check a site’s security, to the left of the web address, look at the security status:
    • Lock Secure
    • Info Info or Not secure
    • Dangerous Not secure or Dangerous
  3. To see the site’s details and permissions, select the icon. You’ll see a summary of how private Chrome thinks the connection is.

As to whether it’s safe to put your information on a site that’s not secure, well…it can be done, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Sure nothing might happen but then again, why take a chance.

If your website isn’t currently encrypted with SSL technology and you would like it to be, call us at (412)267-7224 or email us at and we’ll let you know the cost to get you secure.


Anspach Media | Website | + posts

Rob is affectionately known as “Mr. Sarcasm” to his friends - to everyone else he’s a Certified Digital Marketing Strategist, a Foremost Expert On Specialized SEO, a Best Selling Author, Podcaster, Speaker and Authority Broadcaster who can help amplify YOU to your audience.

Rob has authored, coauthored or produced over 40 books covering social media, search engine optimization, podcasting, copywriting, personal injury law, weight loss, military law, life lessons, scams, sarcasm, customer service and more. His book clients include lawyers, speakers, doctors, real estate professionals and more.

Rob is also host of The E-Heroes Interview Series available on Apple, Amazon, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify & many other podcast channels. Rob works inside corporations across the globe, helping companies generate new revenue and capture online business.

Rob is also available to share talks and give interviews. To learn more and to get started visit or call Anspach Media at (412)267-7224 today.